There are a million, ca-gillion photography blogs out there! The information on how to take a photo and make money doing it is endless. Some of it is amazing. Some of it…not so much. For a new photographer or someone just wanting some basic information it can be overwhelming. I thought I would share with you my 5 blogs/people I follow and why. I only follow these blogs. I don’t have a lot of time in my day, so I do my best to keep things neat. I purposefully only follow these 5 blogs. It’s a little bit of everything and hopefully gives me a little bit of a well rounded view of what is happening in our industry as a whole. For those of you who like the way our photos look or how we run our business this might give you some insight on us. You will notice that I don’t follow wedding blogs. I might check random ones out when I see something special in my Facebook news feed, but overall I don’t find that by reading their material it helps me grow our business. If I am not doing something productive then I rather be watching a movie with my man or baking cookies with the kids!
1. Gray Photography I love Zach and Jody Gray. Probably a little too much! They are Christians who aren’t afraid to talk about their faith. They are about starting a business debt free and building it piece by piece as you make money. They also believe in quality lighting and shooting in camera with not a lot of photoshopping. You should check out their blog for all things photography including Tuesday Tips.
2. Outspoken Media (according to their site because I am still unsure how to explain it myself, lol) ” is a boutique SEO consulting company that specializes in fitting clients with customized integrated marketing strategies to amplify their voice on the Web”. I have very few blogs that I follow, but this blog is the only one I make sure to read every post. A lot of people think that I know a lot about SEO, ORM, and marketing. This is why. Actually, I don’t really know a lot. More like I can regurgitate what I just read and apply what I can to our company. Honestly, half of it goes over my head and I have to look up definitions of a lot of it. But I think it is good for me to learn SEO stuff from the SEO pros.
3. Flights of Fancy Betsy White makes wedding invitations and they have a blog for their inspiration. I love seeing the burst of color on my screen and it keeps me in the know of popular trends, colors, and fun ideas that I might keep in mind for a future styled shoot.
4. Daily Dilbert Comic Ok, after my speech about wedding blogs being a time-sick with no purpose to me, I can see that you might think me hypocritical with adding a comic strip to my day. But this will take 30 seconds and it is purposeful. It sets a happy mood and I like to be happy.
5. Scott Kelby’s Blog He is a great guy for talking in lamens terms when it comes to photography. His main thing is Photoshop and Lightroom. With a new version of Photoshop and Lightroom every year and updates every month it seems, I need a lot of tutorials! Although my goal is to shoot the best I can in-camera, sometimes I need Photoshop. I want to do it well and know the latest that Lightroom had going on (the software program that we edit 90% of our images in).
And there you have it! What are your favorite blogs? What am I missing out on?